Welcome to our Housing pages

Without doubt housing is one of the highest outgoings for any family. For a single parent it becomes even more of a drain on resources.  There are many issues relating to housing; for example, you may be looking to buy your own home, you may be homeless or fleeing from an abusive relationship and need emergency accommodation, you may have just arrived in the UK from abroad.  You may want to get yourself on the housing register.  How do you find safe housing, in a good neighbourhood with good schools?

If you have a housing question why not contact our Housing Expert?

If you are experiencing Domestic Abuse please click here to get further information.

Advice Guide

This website is the Citizens Advice Bureau’s (CAB) advice pages; it has a section on housing which is very helpful covering all aspects from housing benefits to problems with landlords.  It is worth finding your nearest CAB office, which you can do on the above website and getting their initial advice, they will be able to advise you on what you can and can’t do.


This is an invaluable site.  You will find huge amounts of information ranging from ‘Buying and Selling your home’ to ‘Keeping your home, Eviction and Homelessness’. If you want to find out how to contact your local authority enter ‘Local Councils’ in the search box and it will take you to a list of directories, click on number one (local councils) and you can find all the details you will need to contact the housing department in your local authority.


Shelter is one of the largest charities dealing with housing issues.  You will find everything you need here. There is advice on everything including; Eviction, Repossession, Paying for a home, Finding a place to live and Renting and Leaseholds. It also has a wealth of up-to-date information on all the latest issues relating to housing in the UK.

St. Mungo's

St Mungo’s provides support, treatment and shelter for those living on the streets in London and the South of England, whilst also providing advice and support to those at risk of becoming homeless. This support can range from simply having someone to talk to and help organise your finances in order to make your current circumstances more secure, to moving into one of our supported housing developments.


Support for young homeless people.


We are now Disability Rights UK – formed through a merger of Disability Alliance, Radar and National Centre for Independent Living on 1st January 2012. We aim to be the largest national pan-disability organisation led by disabled people.

Housing Rights

This is a very good website if you have just arrive in the UK or have been here some time from abroad and want to find out what your housing rights are.  It covers; Recently arrived in the UK, Refugees, Indefinite leave to remain, Work permit holders, EEA workers, Other EEA nationals, EEA family members, A8 Nationals, Bulgarians and Romanians, People fleeing domestic violence and People with social care needs.


Crisis is a charity for single homeless people. Very useful website, it has a project called Smart Move which is a nationwide network of best-practice model deposit schemes that provide non-statutory homeless people with access to good quality accommodation in the private sector. To find out more go to the Crisis site and type ‘Smart Move’ into the search box.

Home - Swap - Exchange

Council and Housing Association properties mutual exchange.


A website for single dads to share costs and house share.