This is a life changing moment; give it, and more importantly your partner, the time and respect they deserve.
- Pick a time and place where you can have an uninterrupted
- Prepare your partner by explaining that the conversation is important and
- Try not to ‘blurt it out’ during a heated conversation. If possible choose a time when both of you are calm.
- Ensure that you have thought about what you want to say
- Keep calm and breathe slowly, it will help!
- Try not to interrupt each other, wait until the other person has
- Really listen to each other.
- Check you have heard correctly by repeating what you thought you
- Correct if it’s not accurate.
- If either person becomes heated or angry call a time out and try again once you are both
- Give your partner some space, allow the information to sink in, expect an outrage or
Talk again when they are ready to.
Recommended books for parents going through separation and divorce.
You maybe interested to read Adele’s article ‘Is It Over’.
You may also find our Useful Links page helpful.
Posted on June 7, 2020