During separation and divorce it is extremely important to have support from friends. However there are a few things to consider:
- Sometimes it is wise to have just one or two close
- Friends often give advice, remember you don’t have to take it. Their advice will be coming from their own experience of similar situations either experienced as a child or an adult. It might not ‘fit’ your
- If their advice sounds relevant, try not to act on it Take time to reflect before you proceed.
- Ask for what you need! Friends want to help and support you but they can only do this if they know what you
E.g. “I really need to get this off my chest, can you please just listen to me and then give me a hug? I don’t need you to offer suggestions on what I should do.”
- Remember that your family and friends may ‘close ranks’ and become involved in your conversations with your ex to protect This may not always be helpful
Recommended books for parents going through separation and divorce.
You maybe interested to read Charlotte Freidman’s article ‘What Is The Role Of Friends In Separation?
You may also find our Useful Links page helpful.
Posted on June 7, 2020